Do you wish to benefit from the bouquet of flowers that you’ve acquired for longer or do you wish to preserve the flowers from your personal backyard so long as doable? Then you possibly can dry them, an inside pattern that’s again in trend!
Drying flowers preserves their colours and smells for longer. Dried flowers are good to make use of in garlands, in flower preparations, in bouquets, however additionally they look beautiful on their very own in a classy vase. The petals, small twigs and leaves may be processed right into a potpourri to fill your lounge with a pleasant scent. Do you know that dried flowers are offered worldwide? In Sweden these flowers are known as födelsedagsblommor or beställ blommor.
However how precisely do you strategy this? We’re glad that can assist you.
Which flowers may be dried?
First, select flowers which might be nonetheless trying their finest, nonetheless have a deep shade and present no indicators of decay. As well as, it’s also necessary to know that not all flowers are appropriate for drying. Sure varieties comprise an excessive amount of water, reminiscent of tulips, hyacinths and daffodils, making them tougher to dry. White flowers additionally produce a much less engaging end result as a result of the flowers shortly flip brown. Roses, poppies, thistles, hydrangeas, decorative grasses and lavender are nice.
Air drying flowers
That is in all probability the best method and likewise probably the most environmentally pleasant. You want a couple of instruments for it, only a heat, dry and darkish room to protect the colour of the flowers in addition to doable. An attic is good for this.
- Take away extra leaves and tie the flowers collectively in small bunches with an elastic band. It’s best to do that per species and in equal bundles. The elastic retains the branches collectively and ensures that they don’t fall off in the course of the drying course of.
- Dangle them the other way up in a well-ventilated space. Don’t cling the completely different bundles too shut to one another in order that adequate air can attain the flowers.
- The sooner they will dry, the higher the end result and the much less probably they’re to get moldy. The flowers are dry after they really feel a bit crisp and brittle. Relying on the area the place they cling and the kind of flowers, this can take between 1 to eight weeks.
- Are you not sure whether or not the flowers have already dried sufficiently? Then put two stems in a vase for a few days as a take a look at. If the stems stay upright they’re good, in the event that they bend they should dry for some time longer.
Drying flowers with silica gel
Drying flowers with silica gelThis is a fast technique that produces good outcomes. Silica gel is a product that you could purchase within the interest retailer. You too can reuse it. It’s supreme for flowers with delicate leaves reminiscent of daisies and violets.
- Fill a flat container that may be sealed hermetic with a layer of silica gel about 5 cm thick.
- Stick the flowers you want to dry within the gel. Make it possible for the completely different flowers don’t contact one another.
- Then very fastidiously scoop extra crystals between and across the flowers to only cowl them.
- With a skewer you possibly can open the leaves a little bit bit in order that the crystals are properly in between.
- Seal the container hermetic and tape the sting in order that no air can penetrate.
- After a couple of days you possibly can take away all the things and test if the flowers have dried sufficiently. If they’re left within the product for too lengthy, they may turn into brittle and darkish in shade. Gently shake off the crystals and use a brush to wipe off the product.